Last weekend was Father's Day, and in conjunction with this special holiday, this month is dedicated to taking care of the important men in our lives. Whether it's your dad, brother, spouse, partner, uncle, grandfather, friend, or colleague—this is a time to encourage them to care for their physical and mental health.
Did you know that men are less likely to see their doctor about a health issue than women? They're also seven times more likely to commit suicide than women.
So, we're calling on men to take care of their physical and mental health.
Men's Health issues are important, and many health issues can be prevented with proper checkups.
- 1 in 2 men will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime.
- It is estimated that nearly 52% of men 20 years and older have hypertension.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in men.
In 2021, we are highlighting the importance of an annual doctor's visit.
Doctors are your partners in health, so start by scheduling necessary checkups and screenings, and remember to reach out to medical professionals when you have health concerns.
Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. Prostate cancer is serious, but it's very treatable with proper and early detection. Take it from James Michael Tyler, best known as Gunther from the hit TV show Friends. The actor was diagnosed with stage IV prostate cancer in 2018. His cancer has now spread to other parts of his body. His goal is to save even one life by reminding men to have a quick and easy blood test called the Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) test.
The American Cancer Society suggests the PSA test for the following ages and risk factors:
- Age 50 and over who are at average risk.
- Age 45 for men at high risk. African American men and all men who have a first-degree relative diagnosed with prostate cancer before age 65 are considered high risk.
- Age 40 for men at even higher risk who have had more than one first-degree relative who had prostate cancer at an early age.
Call your doctor and schedule your checkup today!
About MORE Health
MORE Health is a global digital healthcare company that provides peace of mind and confidence to make the best healthcare decisions when diagnosed with a serious life-changing illness. MORE Health delivers second medical opinions virtually through their proprietary GDPR and HIPAA-compliant platform, connecting the world's leading Physician Specialists with the patient's treating physician for the highest level of health outcome for the patient. Available as an employee benefit or individual case basis. For more information, Contact Us.